As Kevin Spacey famously observed, “give people what they want, when they want it, in the form they want it in, at a reasonable price, and they’ll more likely pay for it rather than steal it.” Nowadays this is known as ‘The Netflix Model,’ but its influence far exceeds the bounds of streaming entertainment.
Once upon a time integrated marketers controlled the message and how it was taken in by audiences. Now that model has been flipped on its head, giving users control, they have made clear they demand relevant content – on their schedules.
Why Embrace Bingeing?
Due to today’s technology-centric, always-on culture (smartphones, tablets), consumers seeking information, can (and are) accessing it all the time—from reading and watching, to shopping and research. This ‘culture of choice’ means businesses need to anticipate and prepare for the on-demand nature of consumers.
- Consumers have shorter attention spans than ever
- It is now a requirement that content is packaged and ready to go 24/7
- Customers crave unique, helpful insights
- Users that content binge are 2.4 times more sales-ready
How Do I Make My Content Binge-Worthy?
Advice for creating binge-worthy content is as varied as the organizations looking to embrace it. Despite a seemingly endless source of expert guidance available to integrated marketers, it comes down to a strong content marketing action plan.
- Strategy – understand what drives consumers; prepare to implement a nurture system, create engaging content, pre-load a content delivery system; automate delivery.
- Create a content destination (including articles, videos, etc.) – draw the audience to a site and keep them there; encourage bingeing on digital assets; position the business as an authority.
- Provide good on-demand content – know the buyer’s journey, interests and challenges; provide quality content at the right time; facilitate bingeing through format and platform diversity.
- Create a path – make the consumer journey easy and clear; offer content that progresses as consumers move through the sales funnel.
- Data analytics – track audience behavior and preferences; use insights into consumption and browsing habits to promote related content.
The Netflix Model is being adopted and adapted by businesses worldwide. As audiences become more accustomed to the freedom of on-demand consumption, businesses will need to be open to continued innovation and ongoing adjustment and, as Kevin Spacey said, “if they want to binge, then we should let them binge.”
Last modified: September 21, 2017